American Landscape Institute

Monkton,  MD 
United States

The American Landscape Institute was founded by the owners of Baltimore area nurseries and landscape companies to attract young people to the thriving Maryland horticulture industry. This is an “Earn and Learn” program: students work full time for their company until classes begin. Students attend classes every Friday at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) in Hunt Valley or Dundalk, for 7 semesters (2 years).

Students receive an 80% tuition scholarship from their employer each semester. The Sustainable Horticulture Department at CCBC combines hands on learning and classroom instructions that students can immediately apply to their job. Students earn a 2-year Certificate in Landscape Installation, Maintenance and Design from CCBC in just 7 semesters and are quailified to be supervisors, foreman, or managers.

For more information email or call Martha Pindale, Executive Director, 410-688-5115




American Landscape Institute student testimonial

 Press Releases


    Hunt Valley, MD – The American Landscape Institute (ALI) is accepting applications until June 1, 2021 for its summer or fall cohort of students. The two-year scholarship program offers participants a college accredited certification, paid employment with a local business and no college debt.

    Accepted students are hired by a landscape and nursery business. They work full time for the employer until summer or fall horticulture classes begin at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) in Dundalk or Hunt Valley.

    When classes begin, students work for their employer four days per week and attend classes every Friday. They earn 39 college credits and a Certificate in Landscape Installation, Maintenance, and Design from CCBC.

    The employer pays an 80% scholarship towards their tuition. The student pays the remaining 20%. Upon completion of the 7-semester program, ALI returns the 20% tuition to each student and they graduate debt free.

    ALI is a unique, industry supported program which encourages people to choose a career in horticulture. This will be the 5th Cohort of students in the program.

    Visit the ALI website, application information. Contact Martha Pindale at with questions.


  • Information for employers
    Do you want to hire a student? Or do you have a current employee that wants to take Horticulture classes and further their career with your company?
    Read about the ALI Program here!...

  • Do you want to hire a student?

    Or do you have a current employee that wants to take Horticulture classes and further their career with your company? 
    Read about the ALI Program here! Contact or call her, 410-688-5115

    Visit the ALI website:

  • Information for prospective students
    Do you want to take Horticulture classes and further your career in the Industry? Whether you are new to the Industry or are already employed by a landscape or nursery company, the ALI Program could be for you!...

  • Learn more about the ALI Program and find out if it is a good fit for you!

    Contact Martha Pindale, ALI Executive Director: or call 410-688-5115. 

Thank you for participating in MANTS 2021! 

For Technical Support with this website, please contact