Webinar #1 | Racism: The Ultimate Underlying Condition
This kick-off webinar of APHA's Advancing Racial Equity series examined racism and its historic and present-day impact on health and well-being. Presenters:
• identified the multiple levels on which racism operates;
• described the physiological impacts of racism and discrimination on health; and
• explored the principles for and barriers to achieving health equity.
Webinar #2 | A Path to Reproductive Justice: Research, Practices and Policies
The second webinar in APHA's Advancing Racial Equity series covered reproductive racial disparities. Presenters:
• Provided context of racism in reproductive care across multiple impacted groups;
• Shared current advocacy approaches to advancing reproductive health equity; and
• Highlighted current federal legislation that addresses the barriers to achieving reproductive justice.
Webinar #3 | Reborn Not Reformed: Re-Imagining Policing for the Public's Health
The third webinar in APHA's Advancing Racial Equity series:
• Described how racism operates in policing and the limitations of reform efforts
• Discussed the acute and chronic health impacts of over policing on Black and Latinx communities
• Explained what “Re-Imagining Policing” means for public safety, public health and society overall; and
• Identified and addressed the ways in which policing occurs in public health and other sectors.
Webinar #4 | Racial Healing for Ourselves, Our Communities and Our Future
The fourth webinar in APHA's Advancing Racial Equity series covered racial healing as essential for dismantling racism and advancing racial equity.
• Explained a model for truth, racial healing and transformation, or TRHT.
• Described efforts of the TRHT Campus Center at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
• Explored how Indigenous values can guide racial healing within and across communities.
Webinar #5: Housing is a Human Right
The fifth webinar in APHA's Advancing Racial Equity series covers structural racism in housing.
• Described the racist structures and policies that established housing inequality.
• Discussed the health impacts of racism in housing on communities of color.
• Highlighted pre- and post-COVID legislation related to housing.
• Provided an advocate's perspective of ways to advance equity through housing at the city and state level.
Webinar#6: Environmental Racism
Advancing Racial Equity Webinar Series Discussion Guide
This guide (PDF), to be used in conjunction with viewing the webinars, recaps the content of the webinars and provides discussion questions and activities to invoke meaningful conversations about racism and its connection to health inequities in the United States.