In My Quest for Health Equity, Dr. Satcher takes an inspiring and instructive look inside his fifty-year career to shed light on the challenge and burden of leadership. Explaining that he has thought of each leadership role—whether in academia, community, or government—as an opportunity to move the needle toward health equity, he shares the hard-won lessons he has learned over a lifetime in the medical field.
Drawing on his early memories, medical school days, experience in the civil rights movement, and professional highs and lows, Dr. Satcher touches on a number of topics, including
• the essential qualities of leadership
• leading from science to policy to practice
• the importance of clear communication and continual learning
• the need for workplace discipline
• confronting failure
• specific health issues, including the obesity epidemic, reproductive health, and mental health stigma
• team approaches to leadership
• and much more
In this book, readers will discover a template for using leadership roles of all types to eliminate health disparities. My Quest for Health Equity is a vital resource for current and rising leaders.