Self-loosening of critical bolted joints can result in extremely negative situations: machine damage, loss of revenue, work stoppages and even harm to personnel. Power generation applications are especially sensitive to bolted joint self-loosening due to a variety of reasons.
In a wind turbine, vibration and dynamic loads are present throughout the assembly and impact all bolted joints: pitch bearing flanges, blade and yaw flanges, generator, gear box, brake assemblies, rotor, couplings, ladders, cranes, hoists, etc.
In solar power applications, all of the steel connections dependent on bolted joints suffer exposure to wind loads. Over time, transverse influences or vibration creates slippage between bolted parts and ultimately within the bolted joint itself. This leads to bolt loosening and the real potential for damage. Single axis trackers and pedestal mounted trackers are especially prone to bolted joint self-loosening.
How does the HEICO-LOCK® Wedge Lock Washer work? When the bolt is tightened, the external radial teeth of the HEICO-LOCK® Wedge Lock Washer imprint themselves in an interlocking fashion in the respective mating surface.
If the bolted joint is subject to dynamic stresses, movement is only possible between the wedge lock washer’s internal wedge shaped washer surfaces. Since the wedge angle is greater than the angle of the bolt’s pitch thread, self-loosening potential is eliminated.
- Qualified and proven by numerous power generation OEM's, sub-suppliers and global certifying agencies.
- Locking performance not dependent on lubrication.
- Effective bolt security confirmed even under low initial preload - whether by design or operator error.
- Can be reused. No need for expensive tools to remove; bolted joint can be loosened with normal tools.
- Easy to install. No need for single use, expensive installation tools.
- Suitable for up to 12.9 strength class and grade 8 bolts and their respective nuts
- Available in steel, stainless steel, SMO 254 and Inconel 718, in both narrow and enlarged OD’s
- Heavily stocked in Hickory, NC in standard sizes up to 3” and M76
- Custom sizes and coatings available to meet OEM specifications.