15 Unique Facts About Our Fruitcake
1. Pecans are one of the most expensive nuts in the U.S. Every single one of our Pecan Cakes is comprised of 27% pecans.
2. The second-largest component of our cakes is fruit, specifically pineapple, raisins, cherries, and papayas. Each of our cakes are held together with our proprietary clover-honey batter.
3. We never substitute less expensive varieties of pecans in our DeLuxe® recipe.
4. We only use native pecans in our Pecan Cake recipes. Native pecans are known to have a sweeter, richer flavor. Commonly referred to as a “Mother Nature nut,” native pecans are grown the way Mother Nature intended; directly from the seed itself.
5. Both our pineapples and papayas come from our very own Costa Rican farms. Grown in fertile, volcanic soils, these luscious fruits are then glacéed, a process created by the French in order to preserve fruits.
6. Our DeLuxe®, decorated with the seasonal colors of red and green, is known as THE traditional Christmas fruit cake.
7. In response to popular customer demand, our Texas Blonde Pecan Cake is decorated with concentric rows of pecans in lieu of the red and green “Christmas-themed” fruit.
8. Our Apricot Pecan Cake features glacéed Australian apricots which when thinly cut looks like translucent pieces of amber.
9. Our DeLuxe® Fruitcakes are sweetened using locally harvested clover honey from Burleson, Texas.
10. Our pecans are freshly shelled in the largest pecan shelling factory in the world located right here in Corsicana, Texas!
11. At one point in time, Collin Street Bakery owned and operated the largest organic pineapple growing operation in the world.
12. Next time you watch "The Godfather,” check out the DeLuxe’s® cameo appearance! In the scene where James Caan's character, "Sonny", learns he is being set up by the Mob, our famous DeLuxe® tin can be seen behind him on the counter. The set designer felt our fruitcake tin added a sense of classic “Americana.”
13. Legend has it the DeLuxe® was taken on one of the Apollo Space missions.
14. Our Deluxe® fruitcake was almost featured in the Guinness Book of World Records! Collin Street’s fruitcake submission was entered into the category for the largest fruitcake ever baked. To memorialize the event, we even had an enormous fruitcake tin made! The lid is proudly displayed in our downtown Corsicana Bakeshop.
15. A Hollywood movie (FRUITCAKES) about an employee embezzlement scheme at Collin Street Bakery is currently in production. It stars Will Ferrell and is scheduled for release in late 2020.