The Department of Geology & Geophysics at Louisiana State University has an international presence in educating and preparing students for careers in the geosciences. Our continued success is derived from the experience of our dedicated faculty along with campus collaborations with petroleum engineering, coastal and environmental studies, and computational technology. We are located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the capital of the state and a city rich with unique cultural and artistic experiences. Our students enjoy the benefits of studying at a comprehensive research university combined with the one-of-a-kind atmosphere that only Louisiana can provide.
Highly motivated applicants are encouraged to apply to our graduate programs.
Who should apply?
Students looking for a prestigious graduate program in the geosciences are encouraged to apply. Admission to the graduate program is competitive, based on academic merit and research focus. Applicants must have the following to be considered:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a foreign institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on all undergraduate work (or last half degree requirement) and a 3.0 GPA or better on any graduate work completed
- International applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent on all college-level work attempted and must receive a score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 79 (Internet-based) on the TOEFL exam -OR- a score of 6.5 or above on the IELTS exam
*Due to the nature of competitive admission, meeting the minimum requirements does NOT guarantee admission to the program. Recent inbound students had an average GPA of 3.7 and GRE of 316.
Fully completed applications must be submitted online to the LSU Graduate School by the following deadlines:
January 1: Application deadline with funding consideration for the FALL semester
October 1: Application deadline with funding consideration for the SPRING semester
A “Fully Completed Application” includes the following:
- An online application to the LSU Graduate School including statement of purpose (required),
- CV/resume (optional), and writing sample (optional)
- All official transcripts from all universities attended
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (international applicants only)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation submitted via the online application for admission
Ready to Apply?
Applications to the LSU Graduate School are available online at: applygrad.lsu.edu/apply.