As we look to build greener cities, we need systems-based approaches.
For example, if we want to make our cities more walkable and ridable, we need to look holistically at the problem. Does it make sense to be building our sidewalks, bike paths, or even our roads with high emitting Portland cement or bitumen-based asphalt?
For sustainability, we should use products that both reduce emissions and last longer, requiring less waste and resources for extended periods of time.
Sidewalks made with Bonhomie Cement are more durable and use >61% less CO2e than conventional concrete sidewalks made with Ordinary Portland Cement.
Our goal over the next few years is to surpass 90% reduction in embodied emissions of sidewalks, however, this is a market-ready sustainable sidewalk you can use today to reduce your carbon footprint.
CO2e reduction examples:
- City of San Diego sidewalks CO2e could be reduced by >17,000,000 kgs per year
- City of Calgary sidewalk embodied emissions could be reduced by >10,400,000 kgs per year
- City of Vancouver sidewalks CO2e could be reduced by >9,600,000 kgs per year
- New York City sidewalk embodied emissions could be reduced by >43,000,000 kgs per year
- Every year in Canada and the US, ~1.9 Billion KGs of CO2 could be reduced by producing sidewalks with Bonhomie Cement instead of Ordinary Portland Cement
Sustainable sidewalks with Bonhomie Cement:
- Slightly higher compression strength than Portland Cement Sidewalks
- Higher flexural strength
- Much less permeable (lower permeability means longer life)
- Almost no shrinkage (Portland is about 0.05%, Bonhomie is less than 0.01%, meaning less cracking and trip hazards)
- Better durability and resistance to chemicals
- Fully resistant to sulphates
- No impact from alkali's in aggregates
- Minimum of 61% reduction in CO2e
- Decreased set times, meaning into service sooner
Bonhomie Concrete is formulated with durability, workability, and usability factors while achieving significant reductions in the footprint we leave behind.
Eco-friendly benefits aside: Bonhomie Concrete is a longer-lasting, more durable product with 50-year costs ~30% that of Ordinary Portland Concrete.
- It is a direct replacement for Ordinary Portland Cement Concrete
- Performs as well or better than OPC in every test we have done
- Performs well enough to be used for sea walls and structural elements even for high-rise structures, bridges, and other long-term infrastructure assets
- Resistance to change is normal. Sidewalks and bike lanes offer a non-structural application to gain confidence in Bonhomie Cement while reducing our carbon footprint in the process